Did you know:
– Sony Pictures Entertainment, which has been attacked by shareholder/investor activist Daniel Loeb for failing to use its revenues more efficiently, has snatched a US$200m co-funding deal that will finance deficit potential blockbuster films in the pipeline?
– Uber music producer Dr Dre and his music-executive business partner Jimmy Iovine have confounded the music industry and agreed to join tech giant Apple in as-yet unspecified senior roles?
– Expenditure on advertising will grow to US$537bn by the end of 2014 – a 5.5% increase from last year – according to data published by ZenithOptimedia?
– News Corp, Rupert Murdoch’s mostly print-media business that split away from the TV-and-movies division (21st Century Fox) last year, has agreed to purchase Canada-based Harlequin Enterprises for C$455m?
– Investment in games content is accelerating? Investors spent more than US$5bn on related mergers and acquisitions during the first quarter of 2014, almost the US$5.6bn spent in the whole of 2013, according to Digi-Capital’s most recent Global Games Investment Review.
– The European Union’s Court of Justice (CoJ) has ruled that counterfeit goods bought on a website situated outside the region infringe the brand owner’s intellectual-property rights the moment the goods are received in the EU?
This, and a special focus on Denmark, in the latest issue of Outside the Box, a MIP Markets-exclusive round-up of recent key developments and disruptions in entertainment and media, including:
• Ads & Marketing
• Books & Print
Click here to download Outside the Box (email required)
This report is the latest issue of a quarterly entertainment trends review developed by MediaTainment Finance, the business journal that covers investments in international media, entertainment and the impact of related digital technologies.